Thursday, June 24, 2010

La Biblioteca

We’ve broken ground finally on the Library project. There are 24 bases to be created and another 24 holes to be dug. I helped make the rebar cages, with much direction from Alex, called armadura in Spanish. By the end of the 24 cages I was a pro and was tying knots realll quickly. It was nice to actually be a part of the construction process. It’s a little hard to be involved since the skills are very specific and Tyler (the head carpenter) is on a really tight time schedule so he doesn’t have time to sit down and explain things to me. But I’m making myself get in there! Alex and Junior (his brother) joke that I should just bring them coffee and cookies every afternoon. So yes…this is a little offensive….but it’s actually something I totally would do and like to do! The other day I made fresh squeezed lemonade for Ty and Alex and they were very excited about it!

I’ve also completely taken over the accounts. I am keeping one in dollars and one in colones. The one in colones is a bit confusing because I’m working with such huge numbers like 1,234,550.00. That’s a lot of numbers!! We got a big shipment of gravel and cement and sand in the other day and I went and paid the guy. It was kind of exciting! He then asked if I was Robin’s sister (Robin and Timo own the ranch). But no, I told him, only a friend. Silly man! We look nothing alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment